Unless stated otherwise, my source for hymn texts and tunes is The Lutheran Service Book.

Wednesday, August 21, 2024

LSB #744 "Amazing Grace"

Biblical citations in the hymnal:  Ephesians 2:1, 4-9; John 1:14, 16-17; Hebrews 4:16; Romans 3:22b-24

Ephesians 2:1:  "And you were dead in the trespasses and sins"

Ephesians 2:4-9:  "4 But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, 5 even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ - by grace you have been saved - 6 and raised us up with him and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus,  7 so that in the coming ages he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus.  8 For by grace you have been saved through faith.  And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, 9 not a result of works, so that no one may boast."

John 1:14:  "And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth."

John 1:16-17:  "16 And from his fullness we have all received, grace upon grace.  17 For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ."

Hebrews 4:16:  "Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need."

Romans 3:22b-24:  "For there is no distinction:  23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, 24 and are justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus"

+++

The text is public domain:
1 Amazing grace - how sweet the sound - 
That saved a wretch like me!
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind but now I see!

2 The Lord has promised good to me,
His Word my hope secures;
He will my shield and portion be
As long as life endures.

3 Through many dangers, toils, and snares
I have already come;
His grace has brought me safe thus far,
His grace will lead me home.

4 Yes, when this flesh and heart shall fail
And mortal life shall cease,
Amazing grace shall then prevail
In heaven's joy and peace.

5 When we've been there ten thousand years,
Bright shining as the sun,
We've no less days to sing God's praise
Than when we'd first begun.
+++

The two passages from Ephesians (particularly Ephesians 2:5) appear in the first two lines:  "Amazing grace - how sweet the sound - / That saved a wretch like me!"  Aside from Ephesians 2:1, all of the citations mention grace, which appears in the title line and in the third and fourth verses.

+++

The second half of the first verse ("I once was lost but now am found, / Was blind but now I see!") borrows phrases from the Parable of the Lost Son (Luke 15:24:  "'"For this my son was dead, and is alive again; he was lost, and is found."  And they began to celebrate.'") and from the account of the man born blind (John 9:25:  "He answered, 'Whether he is a sinner I do not know.  One thing I do know, that though I was blind, now I see.'").

The descriptions of God as "shield" and "portion" in the second verse also occur in various Psalms, including 3:3; 28:7; 33:20; 73:26; 84:11; 119:57 and 142:5.

The line "Bright shining as the sun" in the fifth verse is drawn from Matthew 13:43:  "'Then the righteous will shine like the sun in the kingdom of their Father.  He who has ears, let him hear.'"