Unless stated otherwise, my source for hymn texts and tunes is The Lutheran Service Book.

Friday, February 17, 2017

"Songs of Thankfulness and Praise"

Earlier this week, I transcribed "Songs of Thankfulness and Praise" (I'm a lot further along in transcribing the hymns than I am in writing about their Biblical referents), and I noticed something about the second line:


The end of the line "Jesus, Lord, to Thee we raise" ascends (when sung to the tune "St. George's, Windsor," at least), so there's a musical representation of the (metaphorical) "rais[ing]."

Those first two lines are inverted so that the direct objects ("Songs of thankfulness and praise") actually come first.  The musical representation of raising becomes even more interesting because what is being raised are "songs," like the hymn itself.  It's a bit self-referential; with an ascending melody, the hymn describes raising songs.