Unless stated otherwise, my source for hymn texts and tunes is The Lutheran Service Book.

Friday, February 5, 2021

"Let Me Be Thine Forever"

Almost two years ago now, I found a few features in "Let Me Be Thine Forever," sung to the tune "Lob Gott getrost mit Singen."  Here are the fifth and sixth phrases:


In the first verse, the text here is "Lord, do not let me waver, / But give me steadfastness."  "Waver" is sung with a melisma (C B A), musically giving a sense of its meaning.  In the second verse, the text is "For Thou hast dearly bought me / With blood and bitter pain."  The second syllable of "bitter" is sung with an accidental (G#), giving something of a sense of its meaning.

The second verse ends with the lines "Let me, since Thou hast sought me, / Eternal life obtain," sung to these phrases:


"Life" is sung with a melisma (D C B), musically giving something of a sense of the duration of "eternal."