Unless stated otherwise, my source for hymn texts and tunes is The Lutheran Service Book.

Wednesday, February 24, 2021

LSB #560 "Drawn to the Cross, Which Thou Hast Blessed"

Biblical citations in the hymnal:  John 12:32; Psalm 51:2, 17; Galatians 6:10

John 12:32:  "'And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself.'"

Psalm 51:2:  "Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin!"

Psalm 51:17:  "The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise."

Galatians 6:10:  "So then, as we have opportunity, let us do good to everyone, and especially to those who are of the household of faith."

+++

The text is public domain:
Drawn to the cross, which Thou hast blessed
With healing gifts for souls distressed,
To find in Thee my life, my rest,
Christ crucified, I come.
Thou knowest all my griefs and fears,
Thy grace abused, my misspent years;
Yet now to Thee with contrite tears,
Christ crucified, I come.
Wash me and take away each stain;
Let nothing of my sin remain.
For cleansing, though it be through pain,
Christ crucified, I come.
And then for work to do for Thee,
Which shall so sweet a service be
That angels well might envy me,
Christ crucified, I come.
+++

The citations for this hymn are easy to distinguish.  John 12:32 appears in the first line.  Psalm 51:2 is the basis for the third verse, and Psalm 51:17 the basis for the second.  The hymn's fourth verse comes from Galatians 6:10.