Unless stated otherwise, my source for hymn texts and tunes is The Lutheran Service Book.

Sunday, October 8, 2017

"Lasst uns erfreuen" (TLH #15)


When I lookt at this tune last week, I mis-read the key and thought it was in Ab major.  That's more flats than I'm comfortable with, so I transposed it down a half-step, thinking I was putting it into G major.  Within a few measures, I realized that it's actually in Eb major, and I was transposing it to D major.  Had I read the key correctly, maybe I wouldn't have transposed it, but I like the sharp keys better than the flat keys anyway.

I've been recording the bass parts lately just because I think that having them makes the tunes more interesting, but for this one, I recorded just one of the bass parts (the lower of the two).  I felt that a second one would obscure this one, which I really like.  Besides, the higher bass part is usually the more difficult of the two (in my experience), and I didn't feel like bothering with it.