Unless stated otherwise, my source for hymn texts and tunes is The Lutheran Service Book.

Wednesday, September 15, 2021

LSB #590 "Baptized into Your Name Most Holy"

Biblical citations in the hymnal:  Matthew 28:19; Romans 6:2-4, 11; Galatians 3:26-27; Psalm 51:10-12

Matthew 28:19:  "'Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,'"

Romans 6:2-4:  "2 By no means!  How can we who died to sin still live in it?  3 Do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death?  4 We were buried therefore with him by baptism into death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might walk in newness of life."

Romans 6:11:  "So you also must consider yourselves dead to sin and alive to God in Christ Jesus."

Galatians 3:26-27:  "26 for in Christ Jesus you are all sons of God, through faith.  27 For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ."

Psalm 51:10-12:  "10 Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me.  11 Cast me not away from your presence, and take not your Holy Spirit from me.  12 Restore to me the joy of your salvation, and uphold me with a willing spirit."

+++

The text is public domain:
Baptized into Your name most holy,
O Father, Son, and Holy Ghost,
I claim a place, though weak and lowly,
Among Your saints, Your chosen host.
Buried with Christ and dead to sin,
Your Spirit now shall live within.
My loving Father, here You take me
To be henceforth Your child and heir.
My faithful Savior, here You make me
The fruit of all Your sorrows share.
O Holy Spirit, comfort me
When threat'ning clouds around I see.
My faithful God, You fail me never;
Your promise surely will endure.
O cast me not away forever
If words and deeds become impure.
Have mercy when I come defiled;
Forgive, lift up, restore Your child.
All that I am and love most dearly -
Receive it all, O Lord, from me.
Let me confess my faith sincerely;
Help me Your faithful child to be!
Let nothing that I am or own
Serve any will but Yours alone.
+++

Matthew 28:19 appears in the first two lines, and the two passages from Romans 6 appear at the end of the first verse:  "Buried with Christ and dead to sin, / Your Spirit now shall live within."

The passage from Galatians 3 mentions being "sons of God," and this is primarily in the second verse ("My loving Father, here You take me / To be henceforth Your child and heir"), but it's also referred to in the third and fourth verses.

Psalm 51:11 is clearly the source for the line "O cast me not away forever" in the third verse.  The cited verses from Psalm 51 may also inform the lines "Your Spirit now shall live within" (in the first verse) and "O Holy Spirit, comfort me" (in the second).