Unless stated otherwise, my source for hymn texts and tunes is The Lutheran Service Book.

Wednesday, May 18, 2022

LSB #625 "Lord Jesus Christ, Life-Giving Bread"

Biblical citations in the hymnal:  John 6:33-35, 48-51; 1 Timothy 1:15-16; 1 Corinthians 11:23-26; Psalm 23

John 6:33-35:  "33 'For the bread of God is he who comes down from heaven and gives life to the world.'  34 They said to him, 'Sir, give us this bread always.'

"35 Jesus said to them, 'I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in me shall never thirst.'"

John 6:48-51:  "48 'I am the bread of life.  49 Your fathers ate the manna in the wilderness, and they died.  50 This is the bread that comes down from heaven, so that one may eat of it and not die.  51 I am the living bread that came down from heaven.  If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever.  And the bread that I will give for the life of the world is my flesh.'"

1 Timothy 1:15-16:  "15 The saying is trustworthy and deserving of full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the foremost.  16 But I received mercy for this reason, that in me, as the foremost, Jesus Christ might display his perfect patience as an example to those who were to believe in him for eternal life."

1 Corinthians 11:23-26:  "23 For I received from the Lord what I also delivered to you, that the Lord Jesus on the night when he was betrayed took bread, 24 and when he had given thanks, he broke it, and said, 'This is my body which is for you.  Do this in remembrance of me.'  25 In the same way also he took the cup, after supper, saying, 'This cup is the new covenant in my blood.  Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me.'  26 For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until he comes."

Psalm 23:  "1 The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.  2 He makes me lie down in green pastures.  He leads me beside still waters.  3 He restores my soul.  He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

"4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.

"5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.  6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the LORD forever."

+++

The text is public domain:
Lord Jesus Christ, life-giving bread,
May I in grace possess You.
Let me with holy food be fed,
In hunger I address You.
Prepare me well for You, O Lord,
And, humbly by my prayer implored,
Give me Your grace and mercy.
To pastures green, Lord, safely guide,
To restful waters lead me;
Your table well for me provide,
Your wounded hand now feed me.
Though weary, sinful, sick, and weak,
Refuge in You alone I seek,
To share Your cup of healing.
O bread of heav'n, my soul's delight,
For full and free remission
I come with prayer before Your sight
In sorrow and contrition.
Your righteousness, Lord, cover me
That I receive You worthily,
Assured of Your full pardon.
I do not merit favor, Lord,
My weight of sin would break me;
In all my guilty heart's discord,
O Lord, do not forsake me.
In my distress this comforts me
That You receive me graciously,
O Christ, my Lord of mercy!
+++

The two passages from John 6 and to a lesser extent the passage from 1 Corinthians 11 are present in the first verse and in the title "bread of heav'n" at the beginning of the third verse.  1 Timothy 1:15-16 seems to appear in the last line of the first verse ("Give me Your grace and mercy") and more generally in the fourth verse.

The second verse is drawn from Psalm 23, although there's also some overlap with the passage from 1 Corinthians 11.