Unless stated otherwise, my source for hymn texts and tunes is The Lutheran Service Book.

Wednesday, August 23, 2023

LSB #692 "Praise to You and Adoration"

Biblical citations in the hymnal:  2 Thessalonians 2:15-17; Matthew 20:26-28; John 10:27-28; 14:18

2 Thessalonians 2:15-17:  "15 So then, brothers, stand firm and hold to the traditions that you were taught by us, either by our spoken word or by our letter.

"16 Now may our Lord Jesus Christ himself, and God our Father, who loved us and gave us eternal comfort and good hope through grace, 17 comfort your hearts and establish them in every good work and word."

Matthew 20:26-28:  "26 'It shall not be so among you.  But whoever would be great among you must be your servant, 27 and whoever would be first among you must be your slave, 28 even as the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.'"

John 10:27-28:  "27 'My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me.  28 I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand.'"

John 14:18:  "'I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you.'"

+++

The text is public domain:
Praise to You and adoration,
Blessed Jesus, Son of God,
Who, to serve Your own creation,
Came to share our flesh and blood.
Guide me that I never may
From Your fold or pastures stray,
But with zeal and joy exceeding
Follow where Your steps are leading.

Hold me ever in Your keeping;
Comfort me in pain and strife.
In my laughter and my weeping
Be with me throughout my life.
Give me greater love for You,
And my faith and hope renew
In Your birth, Your life, and passion,
In Your death and resurrection.
+++

Matthew 20:26-28 appears in the lines "Blessed Jesus, Son of God, / Who, to serve Your own creation, / Came to share our flesh and blood."  John 10:27-28 appears in the lines "Guide me that I never may / From Your fold or pastures stray, / But with zeal and joy exceeding / Follow where Your steps are leading," although there seems to be a bit of overlap with "stand[ing] firm and hold[ing] to the traditions" from the passage from 2 Thessalonians, too.

John 14:18 appears in the second verse, although from a different perspective:  "Hold me ever in Your keeping" and "Be with me throughout my life."  The comforting mentioned near the beginning of the verse ("Comfort me in pain and strife.") seems to come from 2 Thessalonians 2:16-17.