Unless stated otherwise, my source for hymn texts and tunes is The Lutheran Service Book.

Wednesday, May 15, 2024

LSB #730 "What Is the World to Me"

Biblical citations in the hymnal:  1 John 2:15-17, Philippians 3:7-9, Psalm 73:25, Romans 12:2

1 John 2:15-17:  "15 Do not love the world or the things in the world, if anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.  16 For all that is in the world - the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride in possessions - is not from the Father but is from the world.  17 And the world is passing away along with its desires, but whoever does the will of God abides forever."

Philippians 3:7-9:  "7 But whatever gain I had, I counted as loss for the sake of Christ.  8 Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord.  For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ 9 and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which comes through faith in Christ, the righteousness from God that depends on faith"

Psalm 73:25:  "Whom have I in heaven but you?  And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides you."

Romans 12:2:  "Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect."

+++

The text is public domain:
1 What is the world to me
With all its vaunted pleasure
When You, and You alone,
Lord Jesus, are my treasure!
You only, dearest Lord,
My soul's delight shall be;
You are my peace, my rest.
What is the world to me!

2 The world seeks to be praised
And honored by the mighty
Yet never once reflects
That they are frail and flighty.
But what I truly prize
Above all things is He,
My Jesus, He alone.
What is the world to me!

3 The world seeks after wealth
And all that mammon offers
Yet never is content
Though gold should fill its coffers.
I have a higher good,
Content with it I'll be:
My Jesus is my wealth.
What is the world to me!

4 What is the world to me!
My Jesus is my treasure,
My life, my health, my wealth,
My friend, my love, my pleasure,
My joy, my crown, my all,
My bliss eternally.
Once more, then, I declare:
What is the world to me!
+++

All of the cited passages have the same basic idea, which is rendered in the hymn as "What is the world to me!"  Psalm 73:25 and especially Philippians 3:8 are a bit more prominent than the other passages, though; like these two verses, the second half of each hymn verse and most of the fourth declare the superiority that Jesus has over the world.  Some elements of the passage from 1 John 2 also show up in the second verse ("they are frail and flighty" seems to be drawn from "the world is passing away along with its desires" in verse 17) and in the third (the "wealth" and "gold... fill[ing] its coffers" are examples of the "desires" in verse 16).