Unless stated otherwise, my source for hymn texts and tunes is The Lutheran Service Book.

Wednesday, June 12, 2024

LSB #734 "I Trust, O Lord, Your Holy Name"

Biblical citations in the hymnal:  Psalm 31:1-5; 40:4; 64:10

Psalm 31:1-5:  "1 In you, O LORD, do I take refuge; let me never be put to shame; in your righteousness deliver me!  2 Incline your ear to me; rescue me speedily!  Be a rock of refuge for me, a strong fortress to save me!

"3 For you are my rock and my fortress; and for your name's sake you lead me and guide me; 4 you take me out of the net they have hidden for me, for you are my refuge.  5 Into your hand I commit my spirit; you have redeemed me, O LORD, faithful God."

Psalm 40:4:  "Blessed is the man who makes the LORD his trust, who does not turn to the proud, to those who go astray after a lie!"

Psalm 64:10:  "Let the righteous one rejoice in the LORD and take refuge in him!  Let all the upright in heart exult!"

+++

The text is public domain:
1 I trust, O Lord, Your holy name;
O let me not be put to shame
Nor let me be confounded.
My faith, O Lord,
Be in Your Word
Forever firmly grounded.

2 Bow down Your gracious ear to me
And hear my cry, my prayer, my please;
Make haste for my protection,
For woes and fear
Surround me here.
Help me in my affliction.

3 You are my strength, my shield, my rock,
My fortress that withstands each shock,
My help, my life, my tower,
My battle sword,
Almighty Lord -
Who can resist Your power?

4 With You, O Lord, I cast my lot;
O faithful God, forsake me not,
To You my soul commending.
Lord, be my stay,
And lead the way
Now and when life is ending.

5 All honor, praise, and majesty
To Father, Son, and Spirit be,
Our God forever glorious,
In whose rich grace
We run our race
Till we depart victorious.
+++

The passage from Psalm 31 is the main source for the hymn.  Psalm 31:1 is paraphrased in the first two lines, and Psalm 40:4 is also incorporated.  "Incline your ear to me" from Psalm 31:2 is rendered as "Bow down Your gracious ear to me" at the beginning of the hymn's second verse.  The description of God as a refuge in Psalm 31:2-4 and Psalm 64:10 appears in the hymn's third verse, although other Biblical passages could be cited here, too, such as Psalm 28:7 ("The LORD is my strength and my shield; in him my heart trusts, and I am helped; my heart exults, and with my song I give thanks to him.") and Proverbs 18:10 ("The name of the LORD is a strong tower; the righteous man runs into it and is safe.").  "Into your hand I commit my spirit" from Psalm 31:5 appears in the fourth verse:  "With You, O Lord, I cast my lot... To You my soul commending."

The lines "In whose rich grace / We run our race / Till we depart victorious" at the end of the fifth verse seem to allude to part of Hebrews 12:1:  "let us run with endurance the race that is set before us."