Unless stated otherwise, my source for hymn texts and tunes is The Lutheran Service Book.

Sunday, February 25, 2018

"Yigdal" (TLH #40)


I recorded this yester-day, and when I saw that this was in Ab major, I considered just skipping it because I try to avoid anything with more than even two flats (and it would have taken too long to transpose it).  But I like this tune, so I decided to soldier through it (although my resolve failed after recording the mandolin parts, which is why this one doesn't have bass).  Ab major isn't the best key for mandolin, so there are some passages (particularly near the beginning of the verse) where you can hear my left hand moving around on the strings to get to a better position.

When I started recording the harmony part, I discovered that I'd played the melody more from memory than what was actually written (so I had to do it again).  There are three spots in the TLH version that are different from the LSB version: two instances of a quarter note (in TLH) becoming a pair of eighth notes (in LSB) and one instance of a dotted half note becoming a quarter note and a half note.