Unless stated otherwise, my source for hymn texts and tunes is The Lutheran Service Book.

Wednesday, June 5, 2019

LSB #467 "Awake, My Heart, with Gladness"

Biblical citations in the hymnal:  Colossians 2:15, Romans 8:35-39, Genesis 3:15, Romans 6:4

Colossians 2:15:  "He disarmed the rulers and authorities and put them to open shame, by triumphing over them in him."

Romans 8:35-39:  "35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ?  Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword?  36 As it is written, 'For your sake we are being killed all the day long; we are regarded as sheep to be slaughtered.'  37 No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us.  38 For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, 39 nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord."

Genesis 3:15:  "'I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heel.'"

Romans 6:4:  "We were buried therefore with him by baptism into death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might walk in newness of life."

+++

The text is public domain:
Awake, my heart, with gladness,
See what today is done;
Now, after gloom and sadness,
Comes forth the glorious sun.
My Savior there was laid
Where our bed must be made
When to the realms of light
Our spirit wings its flight.
The foe in triumph shouted
When Christ lay in the tomb;
But lo, he now is routed,
His boast is turned to gloom.
For Christ again is free;
In glorious victory
He who is strong to save
Has triumphed o'er the grave.
This is a sight that gladdens -
What peace it doth impart!
Now nothing ever saddens
The joy within my heart.
No gloom shall ever shake,
No foe shall ever take
The hope which God's own Son
In love for me has won.
Now hell, its prince, the devil,
Of all their pow'r are shorn;
Now I am safe from evil,
And sin I laugh to scorn.
Grim death with all its might
Cannot my soul affright;
It is a pow'rless form,
Howe'er it rave and storm.
The world against me rages,
Its fury I disdain;
Though bitter war it wages,
Its work is all in vain.
My heart from care is free,
No trouble troubles me.
Misfortune now is play,
And night is bright as day.
Now I will cling forever
To Christ, my Savior true;
My Lord will leave me never,
Whate'er He passes through.
He rends death's iron chain;
He breaks through sin and pain;
He shatters hell's grim thrall;
I follow Him through all.
He brings me to the portal
That leads to bliss untold,
Whereon this rhyme immortal
Is found in script of gold:
"Who there My cross has shared
Finds here a crown prepared;
Who there with Me has died
Shall here be glorified."
+++

The verse from Colossians 2 - specifically the triumph it mentions - is present in the second verse.

The third through fifth verses (and maybe even a bit of the sixth) elaborate on Romans 8, in particular the list of things unable "to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord" (although the hymn calls it "The hope which God's own Son / In love for me has won").  The hymn catalogues "gloom," "foe[s]," "hell," "the devil," "evil," "sin," "grim death," "the world," "care," "trouble," and "misfortune."

I'm not exactly sure where Genesis 3:15 appears in the hymn, but the lines "Now hell, its prince, the devil, / Of all their pow'r are shorn" in the fourth verse and "He rends death's iron chain; / He breaks through sin and pain; / He shatters hell's grim thrall" in the sixth seem to be the best candidates.

The "newness of life" from Romans 6:4 is described in the last verse, but "a crown prepared" seems to come from the end of Revelation 2:10:  "'Be faithful unto death, and I will give you the crown of life.'"