Unless stated otherwise, my source for hymn texts and tunes is The Lutheran Service Book.

Tuesday, March 29, 2022

"St. Flavian"


Sorting through the various arrangements of this tune took some time.  All of its appearances in The Lutheran Hymnal are the same (I used #22).  Only one note differs between the two appearances in Lutheran Worship (what's an E in the alto part in #342 is a D in #502), but I suspect this difference is an error, and/so I didn't play through both.  There are two different arrangements of the tune in The Lutheran Service Book.  The arrangement that's #577 and #857 also appears as #885 in Hymnal Supplement 98, and I played from that notation while I had my copy of LSB open to the other arrangement (#787).  (Confusingly, while LSB 787 and HS98 885 are different arrangements, the texts are the same:  "The Temple Rang with Golden Coins").

Altogether then, my recording is one verse each from TLH 22, LW 502, LSB 787, HS98 885, and then the Amen cadence from TLH.