Unless stated otherwise, my source for hymn texts and tunes is The Lutheran Service Book.

Wednesday, August 31, 2022

LSB #640 "Thee We Adore, O Hidden Savior"

Biblical citations in the hymnal:  Matthew 26:26-28, 1 John 1:7, John 10:17-18, 1 Corinthians 13:12

Matthew 26:26-28:  "26 Now as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and after blessing it broke it and gave it to the disciples, and said, 'Take, eat; this is my body.'  27 And he took a cup, and when he had given thanks he gave it to them, saying, 'Drink of it, all of you, 28 for this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.'"

1 John 1:7:  "But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus his Son cleanses us from all sin."

John 10:17-18:  "17 'For this reason the Father loves me, because I lay down my life that I may take it up again.  18 No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord.  I have authority to lay it down, and I have authority to take it up again.  This charge I have received from my Father.'"

1 Corinthians 13:12:  "For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face.  Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known."

+++

Only some of the stanzas are public domain:
1 Thee we adore, O hidden Savior, Thee,
Who in Thy Sacrament art pleased to be;
Both flesh and spirit in Thy presence fail,
Yet here Thy presence we devoutly hail.
4 Fountain of goodness, Jesus, Lord and God:
Cleanse us, unclean, with Thy most cleansing blood;
Increase our faith and love, that we may know
The hope and peace which from Thy presence flow.
5 O Christ, whom now beneath a veil we see,
May what we thirst for soon our portion be:
To gaze on Thee unveiled and see Thy face,
The vision of Thy glory, and Thy grace.
Amen.
+++

Matthew 26:26-28 appears throughout the first three verses.  1 John 1:7 (specifically "the blood of Jesus his Son cleanses us from all sin") is in the fourth verse:  "Cleanse us, unclean, with Thy most cleansing blood."  1 Corinthians 13:12 appears in the fifth verse, although instead of the image of a mirror, the hymn uses an image of a veil.

It's not very clear where John 10:17-18 appears in the hymn.  My best guess would be the beginning of the third verse:  "Thou, like the pelican to feed her brood, / Didst pierce Thyself to give us living food."  This is the same idea as "lay[ing] down my life."