Unless stated otherwise, my source for hymn texts and tunes is The Lutheran Service Book.

Tuesday, October 11, 2022

"St. Gertrude"


This was the most difficult of the tunes I recorded for this project, which is why I skipt over it initially.  The tune is in Eb major in The Lutheran Service Book (#662) and in Lutheran Worship (#518) but in E major in The Lutheran Hymnal (#658), so I had to transpose it so that all three would match.  At first, I was going to try F major, but this was too high, and either of the original two keys would have been too difficult for me.  Eventually, I decided on transposing it down to D major, although this was too low and some parts fell beneath the instruments' ranges.  To work around this, I played the first phrase of the refrain on alto recorder, and I had to tune down the lowest string on my bass to get the one low D note in the refrain in the TLH arrangement.

In order, the arrangements are LSB, LW, and TLH.  Except for the refrain, the LSB and TLH arrangements are the same.  At the beginning of the tenor part in the LW arrangement, there's the same arpeggiation that appears in the soprano part later.