Unless stated otherwise, my source for hymn texts and tunes is The Lutheran Service Book.

Friday, October 9, 2026

"Holy Spirit, Ever Dwelling"

Last week, I watched the Concordia University Wisconsin chapel service from 18 September.  The hymn was "Holy Spirit, Ever Dwelling," and I noticed a small feature in it.

The hymn is sung to the tune "In Babilone."  Here's the first phrase, which is also repeated as the third phrase:


Almost all of the first and third lines of the verses contain a melisma'd "ever" (sung to the notes A G A), and the slight elongation of the word lends a sense of this duration:  "Holy Spirit, ever dwelling," "Holy Spirit, ever living," "Holy Spirit, ever working," "Holy Spirit, ever brooding," and "Holy Spirit, ever striving."

Years ago, I also noticed (but neglected to write about) a similar instance near the end of the second verse:  in the line "You we praise with endless worship," "endless" is sung with the same melisma in the same musical phrase, repeated once again.