Unless stated otherwise, my source for hymn texts and tunes is The Lutheran Service Book.

Wednesday, November 6, 2019

LSB #490 "Jesus Lives! The Victory's Won"

Biblical citations in the hymnal:  Romans 8:11, 35-39; 2 Corinthians 5:15; Philippians 1:20-21

Romans 8:11:  "If the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, he who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit who dwells in you."

Romans 8:35-39:  "35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ?  Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword?  36 As it is written, 'For your sake we are being killed all the day long; we are regarded as sheep to be slaughtered.'  37 No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us.  38 For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, 39 nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord."

2 Corinthians 5:15:  "and he died for all, that those who live might no longer live for themselves but for him who for their sake died and was raised."

Philippians 1:20-21:  "20 as it is my eager expectation and hope that I will not be at all ashamed, but that with full courage now as always Christ will be honored in my body, whether by life or by death.  21 For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain."

+++

The text is public domain:
Jesus lives! The vict'ry's won!
Death no longer can appall me;
Jesus lives! Death's reign is done!
From the grave will Christ recall me.
Bright scenes will then commence;
This shall be my confidence.
Jesus lives! To Him the throne
High above all things is given.
I shall go where He is gone,
Live and reign with Him in heaven.
God is faithful; doubtings, hence!
This shall be my confidence.
Jesus lives! For me He died,
Hence will I, to Jesus living,
Pure in heart and act abide,
Praise to Him and glory giving.
All I need God will dispense;
This shall be my confidence.
Jesus lives! I know full well
Nothing me from Him shall sever.
Neither death nor pow'rs of hell
Part me now from Christ forever.
God will be my sure defense;
This shall be my confidence.
Jesus lives! And now is death
But the gate of life immortal;
This shall calm my trembling breath
When I pass its gloomy portal.
Faith shall cry, as fails each sense;
Jesus is my confidence!
+++

Romans 8:11 appears in the first verse, most clearly in the line "From the grave will Christ recall me."

The other text from Romans 8 (verses 35-39) appears in the fourth verse:  "Nothing me from Him shall sever. / Neither death nor pow'rs of hell / Part me now from Christ forever."

2 Corinthians 5:15 is in the first four lines of the third verse.  The hymn makes it more personal, though, by using "For me He died" where the Biblical text has "he died for all."  Philippians 1:20-21 seems to be tied in with this too, specifically with regard to "Christ will be honored in my body."

+++

The line "All I need God will dispense" in the third verse reminded me of Genesis 22 (where Abraham nearly sacrifices Isaac, but instead God provides a ram in his place), and I realized that in the hymn, this line could be taken in two ways.  Especially since it follows a description of Jesus' death, there's the connection to God's "provid[ing] for himself the lamb" of sacrifice (Genesis 22:8), who "takes away the sin of the world" (John 1:29) and grants salvation.  But in a more straight-forward way, it could also refer to earthly necessities, as Luther writes in his explanation of the first article of the Apostles' Creed:  "He richly and daily provides me with all that I need to support this body and life."