Unless stated otherwise, my source for hymn texts and tunes is The Lutheran Service Book.

Wednesday, November 20, 2019

LSB #492 "On Christ's Ascension I Now Build"

Biblical citations in the hymnal:  John 14:3, Colossians 3:1-4

John 14:3:  "'And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also.'"

Colossians 3:1-4:  "1 If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God.  2 Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth.  3 For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God.  4 When Christ who is your life appears, then you also will appear with him in glory."

+++

John 14:3 appears near the end of the first verse:  "For where the Head is, there as well / I know His members are to dwell / When Christ will come and call them."  These lines also incorporate the image of us as members of one body (Romans 12:4-5) with Christ as the head (Ephesians 5:23, Colossians 1:18).

"Seek[ing] the things that are above" and "set[ting] your minds on things that are above" from Colossians 3 appear in the second verse, specifically in the lines "For where my treasure went before, / There all my thoughts will ever soar."  This also resembles Matthew 6:21:  "'For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.'"