Unless stated otherwise, my source for hymn texts and tunes is The Lutheran Service Book.

Wednesday, September 25, 2024

LSB #749 "There Is a Balm in Gilead"

Biblical citation in the hymnal:  Jeremiah 8:18-9:2

Jeremiah 8:18-9:2:  "18 My joy is gone; grief is upon me; my heart is sick within me.  19 Behold, the cry of the daughter of my people from the length and breadth of the land:  'Is the LORD not in Zion?  Is her King not in her?'  'Why have they provoked me to anger with their carved images and with their foreign idols?'  20 'The harvest is past, the summer is ended, and we are not saved.'  21 For the wound of the daughter of my people is my heart wounded; I mourn, and dismay has taken hold on me.

"22 Is there no balm in Gilead?  Is there no physician there?  Why then has the health of the daughter of my people not been restored?

"9:1 Oh that my head were waters, and my eyes a fountain of tears, that I might weep day and night for the slain of the daughter of my people!  2 Oh that I had in the desert a travelers' lodging place, that I might leave my people and go away from them!  For they are all adulterers, a company of treacherous men."

+++

The text is public domain:
There is a balm in Gilead
To make the wounded whole;
There is a balm in Gilead
To heal the sin-sick soul.

1 Sometimes I feel discouraged
And think my work's in vain,
But then the Holy Spirit
Revives my soul again.

There is a balm in Gilead
To make the wounded whole;
There is a balm in Gilead
To heal the sin-sick soul.

2 If you cannot preach like Peter,
If you cannot pray like Paul,
You can tell the love of Jesus
And say He died for all.

There is a balm in Gilead
To make the wounded whole;
There is a balm in Gilead
To heal the sin-sick soul.

3 Don't ever feel discouraged,
For Jesus is your friend;
And if you lack for knowledge,
He'll ne'er refuse to lend.

There is a balm in Gilead
To make the wounded whole;
There is a balm in Gilead
To heal the sin-sick soul.
+++

The text from Jeremiah seems to appear only in the refrains.  The line "There is a balm in Gilead" comes from verse 22; "the wounded" in the second line refers to verse 21; and the phrase "the sin-sick soul" in the last line seems to come from "my heart is sick within me" in verse 18.