Unless stated otherwise, my source for hymn texts and tunes is The Lutheran Service Book.

Monday, July 10, 2017

"I'm But a Stranger Here"

Archival post from 30 April 2016

Last week in church, I sang "I'm But a Stranger Here," and I noticed something about the final phrase:


The hymn is in G major, and both "Heav'n" and "home" in that final phrase are sung to G notes, the tonic (or home note) of G major, so there's a musical feeling of returning home when both "Heav'n" and "home" are sung.

When I started this project, I made a point to separate the text from the tune because some texts are sung to different tunes and some tunes are used with different texts, but I think "I'm But a Stranger Here" is pretty firmly tied to "Heaven Is My Home," which is the tune it's sung to.  What I mean is that I think "I'm But a Stranger Here" and "Heaven Is My Home" were written for each other, since the title of the tune is a phrase in the text itself.