Unless stated otherwise, my source for hymn texts and tunes is The Lutheran Service Book.

Sunday, July 16, 2017

"Neander" (TLH #1)


One of the hymns in church this week was from The Lutheran Hymnal.  Although I have a copy, I'm not very familiar with it simply because it was before my time (Lutheran Worship was the current hymnal when I was growing up).  So I decided to go through it hymn by hymn (although I might skip some or change some keys to make them easier to play).  If nothing else, it'll make choosing a hymn to record easier; I just have to do the next one in sequence.

The first hymn is "Open Now Thy Gates of Beauty," which is one I know, but while it's paired with the same tune, TLH lists a different title ("Neander," apparently after Joachim Neander, its composer) from what LW and LSB have ("Unser Herrscher").  As before, I went through the arrangement twice (plus the "Amen" cadence that TLH has for apparently every hymn).